John Daly withdrew from this month's British Open on Tuesday — three days after the R&A in Scotland, which organizes the event, declined the 53-year-old's request to use a cart.
Daly, who suffers from osteoarthritis in his right knee, regularly uses a cart on the senior tour and was granted a medical exemption by the PGA of America to use a cart at the PGA Championship in May. He will be replaced in the field at Northern Ireland's Royal Portrush by American Kevin Streelman. Play is to begin July 18.
Daly's manager said the golfer instead probably will play the Barbasol Championship, a PGA Tour event taking place near Lexington, Ky., at the same time as the British Open. Daly has been granted a cart to use in that tourney.
In a statement released Saturday, the R&A said it "carefully considered the request" from Daly, who withdrew from the British Open ahead of last year's tournament due to "unbearable" pain. "The R&A believe that walking the course is an integral part of the Championship and is central to the tradition of links golf which is synonymous with The Open. We must also ensure that, as far as possible, the challenge is the same for all players in the field."
Daly won the British Open in 1995, which automatically qualifies him for the event every year through age 60. His last appearance at the major was in 2017, when he shot 12-over par in the first two rounds and missed the cut. Daly expressed disappointment with the decision but initially said he planned to "give it a shot" at this year's tourney.
The R&A said Tuesday that Daly withdrew because of a medical condition. It's unclear if the effects of a spider bite Daly said he suffered last week factored into his decision. Daly tweeted on Sunday that a bite from a brown recluse led to a trip to the emergency room, where he had surgery to remove a major infection in his abdominal area.
Streelman, Daly's replacement, last played in the British Open in 2015. The 40-year-old's best finish was tied for 54th in 2014. (From news services)
Billikens add assistant coach • St. Louis University has promoted men's basketball director of player development Ford Stuen to assistant coach, the university announced. Stuen, 27, played for Billikens coach Travis Ford at Oklahoma State for four years and has been on Ford's staff at SLU the last three seasons. Stuen replaces Van Macon, who was named an assistant coach at St. John's. (From news release)
NFL roundup: The NFL said it will pay the medical expenses of Miami Dolphins defensive tackle Kendrick Norton, who was in a car crash last week that ended his football career. He reportedly has undergone three surgeries, including the amputation of his left arm, and needs two more. He probably will be placed on the non-football injury list. League rules allow teams to pay salaries for players with non-guaranteed contracts if they choose to. Keeping Norton on the list makes him eligible to remain on the Dolphins and the NFL’s health insurance plan, while he rehabilitates his injuries and receives occupational therapy.
• Former Detroit and Houston safety Glover Quin has retired after 10 seasons in the NFL. He had an NFL-high seven interceptions in 2014, with the Lions, and 24 in his career. (From news services)
NHL roundup: Chicago traded defenseman Henri Jokiharju to Buffalo for forward Alex Nylander. Jokiharju, the No. 29 selection in the 2017 draft, made his NHL debut in October and finished with no goals and 12 assists in 38 games. Nylander, picked eighth in the 2016 draft, has three goals and three assists in just 19 NHL games over three seasons.
• Colorado agreed to a two-year contract extension with coach Jared Bednar after guiding the team to back-to-back playoff appearances. (AP)
NBA modifies rules: As expected, the NBA is giving coaches the right to challenge one call per game next season in a decision finalized at meetings in Las Vegas. Coaches can challenge a personal foul charged to their team, a called out-of-bounds violation, a goaltending violation or a basket-interference violation. Also, instant replay can now be triggered by game officials working in the review center in Secaucus, N.J., without the involvement of the on-court refereeing crew. (AP)