Want to save money on your next vacation? The folks at Getaroom.com recently offered these tips for saving money on hotel stays and flights.
1. Travel at the right times. Choose slower days of the week to fly such as Saturday, Tuesday and Wednesday and enjoy lower rates. Also look at doing a trip in early or mid-June for less crowds and cooler temps.
2. Avoid Memorial Day. This is a big holiday, so stay clear of this week unless you have to go somewhere. And if you do, consider leaving on Saturday and returning later in the week. Flights and rooms are more expensive during the holiday, and you’ll have to deal with crowds at attractions.
3. Book early. Rates are usually lower when you book 14 or 21 days ahead. Getaroom.com features heavy discounts for advanced bookings – so don’t delay!
4. High heat tolerance? Las Vegas and Palm Springs are certainly hot in the summer, but they are very cheap destinations. You can get great deals on golf and rooms with massive discounts compared to spring or winter rates.
5. Find the secret rates. Getaroom.com features unpublished rate discounts of 10 to 20 percent off rates. Less money spent on the hotel room means more cash for pool drinks and cabanas.
6. Undiscovered Europe awaits. Look at areas such as Scandinavia and Scotland for remoteness and scenery and Poland for its amazing history and inexpensive accommodations. The top big cities in Europe can be annoyingly crowded in the summer.
7. NYC is on sale. Memorial Day means some bargains are available in the Big Apple. Hotels such as One UN, the St. Giles and the Skyline are close to $200 a night, which is a real bargain for this city.
8. Find the extras. Some hotels allow kids to stay free (check the rules). You also should watch parking fees (especially in San Francisco) and Wi-Fi access fees, which can add up quickly.
Need to get away?
Start exploring magnificent places with our weekly travel newsletter.